From the Midwest to Manhattan: incredibly true Adventures of a Farm Boy in the Big City

There are stories of young, strapping boys from Wisconsin packing their bags, uprooting themselves from their simple and sheltered farm lives, saying farewell to Gertrude the Cow and Heloise the Chicken, wishing upon a star and moving out east to New York City where their innocent dreams are soon dashed upon the cold, hard pavement of reality and they quickly descend into the sordid enterprise of male prostitution. This is not one of those stories, but it's pretty damn close.

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Having a Psychologist Mother

I'm currently reading Edmund White's "My Lives," a book that chronicles his experiences growing up gay in Middle America. It's a fascinating and extremely well-written book.

Anyway, in the first chapter White details how his mother, a child psychologist, would practice on him with Rorschach Inkblots. Please keep in mind that this child grew up to be an immensely successful author of countless books, some of them modern classics, and is currently a professor at Princeton. I quote from his book, "My mother was nearly gleeful when she told me I was a 'borderline psychotic' with 'strong schizophrenic tendencies.' Apparently the most telling sign of my insanity was my failure to see anything human in the inkblots. All I saw were jewels and headstones."

I don't know what's more disturbing in this passage: the fact that a child under ten was diagnosed as a nutcase for seeing jewels and headstones in black ink spots or the fact that his mother was "gleeful" about it.

All I can say is that I'm personally very glad that my mother is a reading teacher and not a child psychologist. *relieved sigh*

1 Comments:

Blogger Hikaru said...

Oh, you'd be surprised.

You'd be very surprised.

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home